I have published a couple of books: a collection of short stories (in Bosnian), a collection of poems (in Danish and Bosnian), and my work have been included in several anthologies. I have also written and published articles, essays and reviews in all three languages. I have just finished writing a new collection of poems, and I am currently working on my first novel.
My interests range from literature, media, history, film and art in general to football, philosophy, food and music. I am a father, a husband, a bon vivant, who also happens to be a writer, and a poet.
Email: derion1 [at] gmail (dot) com
- I have two most wonderful daughters with my wife Amra.
- My sporadic writings on various subjects can be found here.
- I published my first book of poetry called Pathétique in 2006. My collection of short stories Priče izgubljenog vremena came out in 2011.
- My collection of (physical) books can be accessed on Github.
- My hardware list can be found here.
- I am expanding a compendium of resources. If it's of interest for you, super.
- I have disdain towards jingoism and conformism.
- I am an avid watch enthusiast.
- I teach Integrated Humanities (history, sociology, political science), and Danish Language & Literature.
- I miss driving cars without all those fancy gadgets, computers. Man, do I miss my ’94 Škoda Favorit!!
- I hold a master degree in Media Studies and History from SDU.
- I made the family coat of arms in clay sometime in 2014. There are only two pieces made. I don't know where the other one is.
- You want to know how to correctly pronounce my name? Here it is.
I respect writers: Fernando Savater, Haruki Murakami, Fyodor M. Dostoevsky, Ivo Andrić, Lord Byron, Musa Ćazim Ćatić, Meša Selimović and Erich Fromm. I am actually trying to make a list of books I read.
My favorite movies are Mirror, The Thin Red Line, Annie Hall and The New World. As you can see, I am quite fond of independent and European films. You can also take a look at my pretty much updated Letterboxd page.
Regarding music, I listen mostly to progressive metal and bands like Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, and Opeth, but when I want to sharpen my hearing senses or just relax I turn to classical music and Bach, Mendelssohn, Beethoven.
Songs I like
Seperate Ways (Journey), E vui durmiti ancora (Pippo Rallo), Dream (Alice Smith), The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel), Sweetest Smile (Black), "The Double Life of Veronique" (Zbigniew Preisner), "Dunje i kolači" (Kemal Monteno), Harlequin Forest (Opeth), The Underground (Faruk Sabanci), Windmills of Your Mind (Sting), Teško je (Parnji Valjak), Passacaglia in G-minor for orchestra (Händel), Allegro Molto Appasionato (Mendelssohn), Sonata K.304 (Mozart).
Websites I visit
Aeon, Arts & Letters, Kottke, klix.ba, dr.dk, Distrowatch.
Linux and programs I use
I have been a friend of GNU/Linux since 2003. In late August 2019 I switched completely to Linux Mint after being a Windows user since 1993. I switched due to increasing data mining, telemetry and threatened privacy and online security. After using Mint, Ubuntu MATE, and Devuan for a couple of years, I am currently using Debian on my main computer and Devuan on my laptop. I have a little Linux Handbook to help me with all the GNU/Linux things related.
I have experience with these GNU/Linux distributions, which I recommend: Linux Mint and Ubuntu MATE for everyone, Debian and Devuan for more advanced users. There are so many good and stable distros. See most of them on Distrowatch.
I use and recommend following apps: Firefox, Audacious, Joplin, LibreOffice, Scribus, Emacs and Vim, Steam, Olive, SimpleScreenRecorder.
My Linux chronology:
Sep. 2019 - Aug. 2020: Linux Mint
Sep. 2020 - Nov. 2021: Ubuntu (MATE)
Dec. 2021 - now: Debian*
* I ran Devuan (Debian sans systemd) from Sep. 2022 - Jan. 2023
First, I had a simple HTML website, then I outsourced to Blogspot, and sometime in 2006 I had installed Wordpress. I migrated to Grav in February 2021.