I have authored a variety of literary works, including a collection of short stories in Bosnian, a collection of poems in both Danish and Bosnian, and my contributions have been featured in numerous anthologies. Additionally, I've composed and published articles, essays, and reviews across all three languages. Recently, I completed crafting a new poetry collection, and I'm presently engrossed in the creation of my inaugural novel.
My interests span a broad spectrum, encompassing literature, media, history, film, and art, as well as football, philosophy, food, and music. Beyond being a writer and poet, I'm a devoted father, husband, and enthusiast of the finer things in life.
Feel free to reach me at derion1 [at] gmail [dot] com or contact me on Mastodon.
Table of Content
- 1. Random facts
- 2. Literature
- 3. Films I like
- 4. Musical directions
- 5. Songs I like
- 6. Websites I frequently visit
- 7. Linux and apps I use
- 7.1. Linux usage chronology
- 8. Colophon
- I have two most wonderful daughters with my wife Amra.
- My sporadic writings on various subjects can be found here.
- I published my first book of poetry called Pathétique in 2006. My collection of short stories Priče izgubljenog vremena came out in 2011.
- My hardware list can be found here.
- I have disdain towards jingoism and conformism.
- I am an avid watch enthusiast.
- I currently teach Integrated Humanities (history, sociology, political science), previously Danish Language & Literature, Information Technology and Media Studies, too.
- I miss driving cars without all those fancy gadgets, computers. Man, do I miss my ’94 Škoda Favorit!!
- I hold a master degree in Media Studies and History from SDU.
- I made the family coat of arms in clay sometime in 2014. There are only two pieces made. I don't know where the other one is.
- You want to know how to correctly pronounce my name? Here it is.
- Did you know I created two fonts sometime in 2004. One is Avdibeg First (handwritten font) and the other is Dinobit, a typical screen font, that should only be used with size 10.
I have a huge respect for writers like Fernando Savater, Fyodor M. Dostoevsky, Ivo Andrić, Lord Byron, Musa Ćazim Ćatić, Meša Selimović and Erich Fromm. I am actually trying to make a list of books I read.
Here's the list of books in line, the list of books I want to read, so they are waiting in line either to be read or acquired.
My collection of (physical) books can be accessed on Github.
Films I like
My favorite movies are Mirror, The Thin Red Line, Annie Hall and The New World. As you can see, I am quite fond of independent and European films. You can also take a look at my pretty much updated Letterboxd page.
Regarding music, I listen mostly to progressive metal and bands like Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, and Opeth, but when I want to sharpen my hearing senses or just relax I turn to classical music and Bach, Mendelssohn, Beethoven.
Songs I like
Going to a Town (George Michael), Seperate Ways (Journey), E vui durmiti ancora (Pippo Rallo), Dream (Alice Smith), The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel), Sweetest Smile (Black), The Double Life of Veronique (Zbigniew Preisner), Dunje i kolači (Kemal Monteno), Harlequin Forest (Opeth), Burden (Opeth), The Underground (Faruk Sabanci), Windmills of Your Mind (Sting), Teško je (Parnji Valjak), Passacaglia in G-minor for orchestra (Händel), Allegro Molto Appasionato (Mendelssohn), Sonata K.304 (Mozart).
Also, check out my mixtapes. There are a lot of cool songs there.
Websites I frequently visit
Linux and apps I use
I have been a friend of GNU/Linux since 2003 (Fedora and Ubuntu). In late August 2019 I switched completely to Linux Mint after being a Windows user since 1993. I switched from Windows 10 due to increasing data mining, telemetry and a threatened privacy and online security. After using Mint, Ubuntu MATE, I am currently using Debian on my main computer and on my laptop. I have a little Linux Handbook to help me with all the GNU/Linux things related.
I have experience with these GNU/Linux distributions, which I recommend: Linux Mint and Ubuntu MATE for everyone, Debian and Devuan for more advanced users. There are so many good and stable distros. See most of them on Distrowatch.
Linux usage chronology
Dec. 2021 - today: Debian*
Sep. 2020 - Nov. 2021: Ubuntu (MATE)
Sep. 2019 - Aug. 2020: Linux Mint
* I used briefly Devuan (Debian without systemd) from Oct 2022 - Jan 2023, and June 2023
First, I had a simple HTML website in 2002 (it looked something like this), then I outsourced to Blogspot, and sometime in 2006 I had installed WordPress. I moved to Grav in February 2021. I migrated to Yellow in mid-July 2023. See the complete sitemap of the website.